Hakata Nagahama Ramen Botan 博多長浜らーめん ぼたん

On my quest to find the best tonkotsu ramen, my journey this time takes me to Takadanobaba. This place is rated one of the best tonkotsu-based ramen according to http://ramendb.supleks.jp/, and I had to try it out.

It was truly a beautiful Sunday afternoon, and a good time to go to a rather popular place to avoid the potential long lines. Just walking down this street, I saw two other ramen shops, one of which was ラーメン二郎, which had a huge queue (its popularity is quite sickening, I’ll explain more in my ラーメン二郎 review).



The place was pretty much empty when I arrived. The typical ticket machine is here so you don't have to even speak Japanese to order, as long as you know what you want and can read a bit of Japanese. I quickly ordered the standard, chashu-men. Just minutes later, my ramen arrived.

Here is your conventional tonkotsu ramen: creamy colored soup, chashu with just the right amount of fat, green onions, kurage (mushroom), and of course the tamago. I also ordered gyoza as this was my first meal of the day, and I was hungry.


The chashu here is excellent. Roasted to perfection and not an overwhelming piece as most places will offer, this will fit in one bite.

The noodles are also very good. As with most tonkotsu ramen, the thin noodles are offered here. And of course you can tell them how long you want your noodles cooked to determine the hardness. I like mine less tender and a bit more chewy.

The gyozas here are also very tasty, pan-fried just right, with veggies and pork.


All in all, a great tonkotsu ramen, one of the highest rated ones in the Tokyo area. Definitely pay a visit if you are a tonkotsu ramen fan, especially if you are in the Takadanobaba area.

City: Tokyo, Japan
Location: Takadanobaba, minutes walk from the station
Hours: Daily 11:00am-4:00am
Website: http://ramendb.supleks.jp/shop/5585
Order system: Machine
Available in English? No

No comments: