Abura Soba Tokyo Abura Kumi Sou 油そば 東京油組総

My love for noodles does not just end with ramen, but it is basically any kind of noodles. My mom's side has always preferred flour based food, so I have always preferred noodles over rice (believe it or not). I've made claims several times is what makes ramen my favorite food in the world is because how amazing the soup is, and how much time and effort is spent making the delicious broth. But lately I've been hooked on this sesame sauce noodles in Taiwan, and last time while in Tokyo, I found this dry noodle place that I am now absolutely addicted in.

Akasaka-mitsuke is quite a popular for wining and dining, and attracts many workers after work since it has a variety of restaurants. So often we go to Akasaka for dinner, and on the to one of favorite Chinese restaurants in Tokyo, there lies this noodle shop that always seems to be crowded. So one day I finally decided to venture in to find out what this place is all about.

Abura soba is a simple 'soba' shop that serves dry noodles, meaning noodles with no soup. It's basically a bowl, with their special sauce, noodles drained, and toppings (charshu, negi, menma, and onsen tamago). They provide instructions after you get the noodles to add vinegar, chili oil, chili sauce, and crushed onions. Being a vinegar lover, I piled on the vinegar, chili sauce, crushed onions, and mixed it all together.

What comes out is this absolutely wondering blend of dry noodles that just satisfies my taste buds to no end. The first time I had it, I was impressed, and now I can't seem to get enough of it. I'll have it once a week at least. It's really hard to describe the taste, because the sauce is such a secret. And with the amount of vinegar and spice you add to your liking, it creates a flavor that meets you satisfication. To me though, what makes this place special isn't just that the charshu is very good, or the onsen tamago gives the noodles another level of flavor, but the noodles itself is one of the best I've had in Japan. The chewiness, or "Q'ness" is about as good as it gets. I absolutely love it.



I know this place will not be for everone, and it seems that the times I've been there, this is a place preferred by men more so than women. But if you are a noodle lover like me, give this place a try. I am sure you won't be disappointed.

City: Tokyo, Japan
Location: Akasaka-Mitsuke (東京都港区赤坂3-10-20) and Shibuya (東京都渋谷区渋谷3-18-10)
Hours: Monday - Saturday 11:00-26:00 (Shibuya until 28:00), Sunday 11:00 - 21:00
Website: No official website (http://ramendb.supleks.jp/shop/15743)
Order system: Machine
Available in English? No (some of them speak a bit of English)

No comments: